The Stony Brook University Athletic Training program is currently accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE), 6850 Austin Center Blvd., Suite 100, Austin, TX 78731-3101.
The mission of the CAATE-accredited Stony Brook University Athletic Training Program is to provide students with an extensive and comprehensive didactic and clinical education from which to build a strong foundation for a career in athletic training.
STUDENT AND PROGRAM GOALS
- The student will understand and incorporate evidence-based practice into clinical decisions.
- The student will develop and implement strategies to prevent injury and optimize patients’ overall health and quality of life.
- The student will demonstrate the clinical skills and knowledge to evaluate and diagnose emergency and ambulatory acute and chronic injuries and illnesses; including the ability to identify the need for referral to appropriate health care providers.
- The student will design and implement appropriate therapeutic interventions for injuries and illnesses, including, but not limited to: therapeutic exercise and modalities, manual therapy techniques, psychosocial intervention and referral, and education regarding use of pharmaceuticals.
- The student will integrate best practice in health care administration policy and procedures.
- The student will uphold the NATA Code of Ethics and practice within state and national regulations and guidelines for athletic trainers.
- The student will challenge and pass the Board of Certification exam on the first attempt.
- The student will successfully transition into professional practice as an athletic trainer immediately upon graduation.
- The student will be an advocate for the profession of athletic training through providing quality health care services to their patients, educating the public and other health care professionals about athletic training, and practice within state and national regulations and guidelines for athletic trainers.
- The program will provide an academic curriculum based on the most current knowledge, skills, and abilities of the athletic training profession.
- The program will provide a comprehensive clinical education experience that addresses the continuum of care for the athletic trainer.