The Stony Brook University Athletic Training program is currently accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE), 6850 Austin Center Blvd., Suite 100, Austin, TX 78731-3101.
The mission of the CAATE-accredited Stony Brook University Athletic Training Program is to provide students with an extensive and comprehensive didactic and clinical education from which to build a strong foundation for a career in athletic training.
STUDENT AND PROGRAM GOALS
- The student will understand and incorporate evidence-based practice into clinical decisions.
- The student will develop and implement strategies to prevent injury and optimize client/patients’ overall health and quality of life.
- The student will demonstrate the clinical skills and knowledge to evaluate and diagnose emergency and ambulatory acute and chronic injuries and illnesses; including the ability to identify the need for referral to appropriate health care providers.
- The student will design and implement appropriate therapeutic interventions for injuries and illnesses, including, but not limited to: therapeutic exercise and physical agents, manual therapy techniques, psychosocial intervention and referral, and education regarding use of pharmaceuticals.
- The student will integrate best practice in health care administration policy and procedures.
- The student will uphold the NATA Code of Ethics and practice within state and national regulations and guidelines for athletic trainers.
- The student will challenge and pass the Board of Certification exam on the first attempt.
- The student will successfully transition into professional practice as an athletic trainer.
- The student will be advocates for the profession of athletic training through providing quality health care services to their clients/patients, educating the public and other health care professionals about athletic training, and practice within state and national regulations and guidelines for athletic trainers.
- The program will provide an academic curriculum based on the most current knowledge, skills, and abilities of the athletic training profession.
- The program will provide a comprehensive clinical education experience that addresses the continuum of care for the client/patient.