Provides an introduction to the science of respiratory care, sleep technology, and cardiac care. Examines current trends in professional practice. Offers each student the opportunity to research and present a topic concerning the contemporary practice of a respiratory therapist, polysomnographic technologist, or cardiovascular technologist. Designed for lower-division four year respiratory care and polysomnographic technology majors. This course is not eligible for the G/P/NC option. Open to west campus students.
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Appreciate the role of the respiratory care practitioner in today’s health care delivery system.
- Describe the scope of practice of the respiratory care practitioner.
- Outline the specialty areas available in professional practice.
- Prepare a written and oral presentation of their clinical field experience.
- Scope of Practice
- Physical Assessment
- Polysomnographic Technology
- Pulmonary Diagnostic Testing
- Life on a Mechncial Ventiltor
- Neonatal/Pediatric Care
- Cardiac Physiology Monitoring
- Cardopulmonary Rehabilitation