The clinical education program is designed to provide students with the opportunity to implement and apply knowledge and skills gained in the classroom to the clinical environment.
The clinical education program exists to provide students with appropriate clinical experiences in which they will:
- observe and demonstrate professional behavior
- apply the body of knowledge, skills, and attitudes required for evidence-based practice of physical therapy
- interact with the health care community
- synthesize academic knowledge and skills with the clinical practice of PT
- develop administrative, supervisory, teaching, and research skills required for the practice of PT
Clinical education experiences are conducted under the guidance of a licensed physical therapist appointed by the clinical site. The student’s learning experience is designed to provide practical experience in preparation for entry-level professional practice. Each student is required to gain clinical experience in a variety of settings to provide a well-rounded education in preparation for graduation as a generalist clinician. Students are required to have experiences in an inpatient setting (either acute care or adult rehabilitation) and an outpatient setting. Students are also required to complete clinical experiences in at least three different types of settings including, but not limited to, acute care, adult rehabilitation, pediatric rehabilitation, and the outpatient environment.
Schedule of Clinical Experiences
The PT program has approximately 400 contracts with clinical sites nationwide. The majority of sites are within the metropolitan tri-state area. Beginning with the Class of 2016, the clinical education program consists of a total of 36 weeks of full-time clinical education experience:
- Clinical Internship I is a 6-week, full-time experience scheduled at the beginning of the fall semester of the second year of the program.
- Clinical Internship II is an 8-week, full-time experience, scheduled during the summer after completion of the second year of the program.
- Clinical Internship III and IV are full-time experiences that take place during the spring semester of the third year. Clinical Internship III is 10-weeks in duration, and Clinical Internship IV is 12-weeks in duration.