Leadership and Quality
- As one of the first PA programs in New York, Stony Brook has a track record for providing the highest quality of physician assistant education. Many graduates have become leaders in both the profession and their workplaces in local, state, national and international settings.
- The post-professional masters program at Stony Brook was constructed based on a careful needs assessment of graduate PAs who told us what they wanted out of their graduate education.
- The faculty of the Stony Brook post-professional masters program consists of both clinicians and educators. All faculty participating in the program have a long track record of participation with our program and understand PA practice and educational needs.
- The facilities of the Stony Brook Post-Professional PA Program are state-of-the-art. Students have access to all of the important educational amenities found in a nationally recognized Health Science Center.
- Stony Brook University ranks in the top 2 percent of all universities in the world. The London Times Higher Education Supplement placed Stony Brook 136 among more than 8,300 universities worldwide, and in the top 50 in North America. Among science universities, Stony Brook ranks in the top 100 in the world, top 25 in North America, and top 10 among public universities.
- Stony Brook has been ranked among the top 100 national universities in America and among the top 40 public national universities in the country by U.S. News & World Report in 2013.
- Stony Brook is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities, the invitation-only organization of the best research universities in the country.
- Stony Brook has been named as a "Best Value" by Princeton Review and ranked among the top 75 public institutions in the nation for academic excellence and affordability in 2013.
- Stony Brook is listed as a "Best Value" college according to Kiplinger's Personal Finance Magazine who named Stony Brook as a top public college.
- Our post-professional PA program is at the forefront of PA postgraduate education in New York State. It is one of a small number of post-professional programs for physician assistants in the United States. Its primary purpose is to provide a mechanism for practicing physician assistants to obtain their advanced degree in a convenient, efficient, and cost-effective manner.
- Stony Brook University is located on the north shore of Long Island in Suffolk County and is accessible by car or train. Close by the historic village of Stony Brook at the geographic midpoint of Long Island, the University campus lies about 60 miles east of Manhattan and 60 miles west of Montauk Point. It is only a short distance to the beaches at Fire Island, the elegant resorts of the Hamptons, and the vineyards of the East End. The internationally recognized research facilities of Brookhaven National Laboratory and Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory are nearby. Click here for further directions and information.
- Stony Brook University also has a location in Manhattan at 387 Park Avenue South, 3rd. Floor, (Between Park Avenue South and Lexington Avenue). Select courses are offered here on a regular basis.
- The Stony Brook Physician Assistant Post-Professional Masters Program is tailored to full-time clinicians and PAs in all settings who wish to enhance their education with minimal disruption to their daily work schedule and home life.
- Classes are offered as weekly evening lectures and seminars, and on line. Select weekend courses are offered on a regular basis.
- Each student can design a course of study that focuses on his/her interests and needs as an experienced clinician and adult learner.
- The SB post-professional masters program can be completed on a part-time basis in approximately two years.
- For clinicians who live outside the immediate geographic area, the distance learning format presents a unique opportunity to complete their masters degree without travel and related expenses.
- Professional tuition and fees for part time graduate PA students can be found here: Tuition and Fees. Please note that the tuition and fee schedule is subject to change. You should also visit this site: Bursar/Student Accounts for more information. Be sure to review Physician Assistant tuition and fees as they are different from undergraduate and other professional tuition rates.
Other Factors to Consider
- Students in the Stony Brook Post-Professional Masters Program have direct access to the program director as well as faculty from the time of application inquiry through all phases of the program.
- Students have onsite and electronic access to the Health Sciences Library including its Barry S. Collier Learning Center microcomputer center. The hours of operation include evening and weekend hours that are convenient for part-time students.
- Other services offered in the Health Sciences Center include a Federal Teachers Credit Union office, Office of Student Services and bookstore.
- Other services and facilities on campus include a Wellness Center, Staller Center for the Arts, Student Health Center and Wang Center.