The Stony Brook University (SBU) Athletic Training Program (ATP), offered by the School of Health Technology and Management (SHTM), is a Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) accredited program.
Stony Brook University was awarded continuing accreditation through 2020-21.
The mission of the CAATE-accredited Stony Brook University Athletic Training Program is to provide students with an extensive and comprehensive didactic and clinical education from which to build a strong foundation for a career in athletic training.
At the time of graduation athletic training students will be able to:
- demonstrate proficiency in the cognitive and psychomotor skills identified in the Competencies in Education
- demonstrate clinical skill and competence in the psychomotor skills identified in the Competencies in Education
- demonstrate ethical behavior in accordance with professional standards
- demonstrate ability to collect, interpret, and disseminate information in an effective manner
- demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills that are appropriate to the population being addressed
- identify professional continuing education requirements, the methods available for obtaining them, and the need for life-long learning
- demonstrate the use of evidence based practice through ongoing research and publication
- respect and treat the patient as an individual without regard to race, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or status as a disabled or Vietnam-era veteran